New Ground Academy
The New Ground Academy is a training community for church leaders and church shapers - mainly, but not exclusively, connected to the New Ground family of churches. King’s Church has been one of the six locations across Europe hosting Academy as we look to develop more leaders in Scotland.
Here's a taste of what Academy in Edinburgh is like:
What is this about?
Academy was established to train church leaders and shapers to play their part in fulfilling some of God's great promises:
- “Go and make disciples of all nations” (Matthew 28:19).
- “You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses… to the ends of the earth” (Acts 1:8).
- “The earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea” (Isaiah 11:9).
We know that God uses ordinary men and women to do extraordinary things for him by the power of His Word and His Spirit. We encourage you to enrol in the New Ground Academy and to allow us to develop you into the leader God has called you to be. We have worked hard to produce a training package that produces leaders who are equipped to lead well in every aspect of church life, through practical theology teaching, peer interaction, and on-the-job coaching.
Who is this for?
Academy is a training course for men and women called by God to have significant influence in his church through leadership.
The minimum entry requirement is that you are a member and committed attender of your local church. We would expect most people attending Academy to be serving in some sort of leadership capacity already and may give preference to those who are if we have more applicants than available places.
We warmly welcome leaders from other churches to consider attending.
What's the plan?
The main element of Academy is ten weekends of teaching and discussion per year for two years.
As an Academy Satellite Base, we will be watching recordings of the teaching materials presented by Phil Moore, Andrew Wilson, Terry Virgo, and other excellent leaders, and then hosting our own conversations about what has been taught and how this applies to us and our leadership situations. We hope to arrange live online discussions with some of the teachers.
Here are the dates and topics for Academy in Edinburgh, starting in September 2017:
15th & 16th September 2017
- Leading By The Book: The entire Bible in a day
- The Word of God on Fire: Preaching training
20th & 21st October 2017
- How to Team with the Holy Spirit: Practical teaching based on Acts
17th & 18th November 2017
- Gospel-Centred Discipleship: How to turn converts into mature Christians
- Jesus the Leader: Practical leadership lessons
5th & 6th January 2018
- How to Pastor a Church: Practical teaching based on 1&2 Corinthians
2nd & 3rd February 2018 At Everyday Church Wimbledon with other bases
- The Word of God on Fire: Contextualising the gospel
- Raising Up Leaders Rapidly: How to turn Christians into mature leaders
2nd & 3rd March 2018
- The Making of a Leader: Practical teaching based on 1&2 Timothy and Titus
6th & 7th April 2018
- Walking with God as a Leader: How to enjoy friendship with God under pressure
- Ethics in a Messy World: How to navigate pastoral minefields
4th & 5th May 2018
- How the Story Ends: Practical teaching based on Revelation
1st & 2nd June 2018
- Embracing Diversity: Multiracial churches which empower both men and women
- A Full Belt of Weapons: Courage, Conflict and Advance
29th & 30th June 2018
- More Ethics in a Messy World: How to pastor a church and speak into the culture
- Carrying on Jesus’ Mission: Practical teaching based on John 13-21
An Edinburgh weekend will look like this:
- Friday, 1.30pm - 8.30pm: four teaching blocks with interactive discussions following, with an evening meal provided.
- Saturday, 9am - 4pm: four teaching blocks with interactive discussions.
In February 2018 we will join together with the other New Ground Academy bases for a special annual training event at Everyday Church Wimbledon.
Full notes will be provided for each teaching session, there is no preparatory reading and no mandatory assignments.
Along with the teaching sessions, Academy trainees will be strongly encouraged to attend a New Ground leadership event during their two years on the course. This will help you to see the bigger picture of what God is doing in our family of churches, and build relationships across churches.
As someone already exercising leadership responsibilities, you will be expected to apply what you have learnt on Academy to your situation. Discussing this with those you are accountable to will be an important part of your training.
What’s being taught?
You can download the full curriculum here.
We aim to get the balance right to train you to become a fully equipped leader within the church. We devote roughly half of our training course to helping students to know, handle, apply and experience the Bible as the Word of God. Around a quarter of the course is given to helping students partner with the Holy Spirit on mission, both inside and outside the church. And the remaining quarter of the course is devoted to helping students to grow in the general leadership skills that they need to lead, shape and grow churches.
What's the cost?
There are two major costs: money and time. There's no short cut to this: great church leaders and church shapers become great because they invest in their potential and put themselves in a place where God can speak to them and teach them.
- For an individual: £250 per year if you pay in one instalment
- If paying in two instalments: £130 in September and February, each year.
- For a married couple: £400 per year if you pay in one instalment
- If paying in two instalments: £210 in September and February, each year.
The fees cover the administration of the course, and dinner on the Friday nights. They do not cover travel and accommodation for the London event.
There are ten two-day sessions per year: Fridays afternoon and evening, Saturdays morning and afternoon. By signing up for Academy you are committing to attend, so you may need to discuss this with your family, employer, and those who have given you leadership responsibilities.
What do I need to do?
Contact Luke Davydaitis, who is leading our Academy base, with any questions you have about the course and application process.
If you’re a member of King’s Church, please chat with your small group leader about making an application. Having done that, please download this form, fill it in, and send it to Janet Marriott. We will be in contact with your small group leader to discuss your application.
If you're a member of another church, please chat with one of your leaders, complete the application form and and send it to Janet Marriott. We will be in contact with the church leader you specify on the application form to discuss your application.
The deadline for applications is Monday 26th June 2017.
If your application is successful, you will need to make your first payment before the first session in September. You should also make arrangements for any leave from work you may need to take, as well as making plans for travelling to and staying in London for the joint training event.